Thursday, June 16, 2011

Summertime

Summer is here. Summer is HOT, and not my favorite time of the year. But instead of focusing on the negative, (for example: the heat, the sweating, the no rain, the re-applying deoderant in the middle of the day, the humidity, the white legs...) I am choosing to focus on the positive things about summer!

Longer days. I love the time of year when the sun waits to set until after 8:30pm, instead of at 5pm!

Sno-cones. This has been a favorite summertime treat of ours. It started in NM. When Nik first moved to the area, he did not know his way around town (especially through the neighborhoods.In his hometown he always drove through neighborhoods to get anywhere he was going). So - we would get in our car, buy sno-cones, and get lost driving the town, the neighborhoods, and the back mountain roads. We have such good memories of long hours driving, eating sno-cones! Now - with gas prices so high, we settle for just sno-cones and no driving around!


Pineapples / Watermelons / Cantelope. We crave these!

Hawaiin Breeze Glade Candle. Seriously a wonderful summer scent in the house!


Yogurt Shops. Temple and Belton have a couple new yogurt shops where you fill your cup and pay by the ounce. We have made it our duty to try them all out (a couple of times) this summer. Pay by the ounce is good for me, because I don't like to eat a lot of yogurt at once. Nik, however, sometimes goes a little crazy. For those of you who have never been, they give you a cup. A big cup - and put you in front of all flavors of yogurt and toppings - then you help yourself! (In Nik's defense it is easy to get carried away). The first time we experienced this, he filled his cup with 16 ounces. That is one pound of Yogurt and toppings! It was a little expensive...!

Watering the grass. I love it. I don't know why, but it makes me happy! It is a balance, watering enough to keep your grass alive and keeping your water bill down. So far, I have found the happy balance. We'll see how well I do as the summer gets hotter.


Hanging out with Teens. Since the teens are out of school, Nik gets to hang out with them more. Playing basketball, eating sno-cones and just goofing off. It's a favorite time of his to have more time with them.

Grilling. We love to grill. Actually, we grill year-round, but there is something nice about grilling in the summer. Oh, and one of my favorite smells during the summer is when you step out of your house, and you smell the yummy flavors of someone else grilling.

New Summer Cup. At Target this weekend, I found these fun, plastic cups that were 'summery' (if that is a word...). And I had to have it! It is my new official 'Summer Drink Cup'. It goes with me everyday to work. Isn't it fun and cute?! (Good thing it does not take much to make this girl happy!)


Camp. Love Camp. Love everything about Camp. I'm sad I don't get to be a part of it, but so glad that Nik gets to take the teens each year. And each year they love it more and more. Before we moved here, very few ever went to Camp. They hated it. Well, that rocked our world - so we had to change that! Slowly, but surely, they are loving Camp!

My Birthday. There was no way I could conclude this post without my Birthday being mentioned! I love my Birthday. I know it is silly and we all know I don't like the age I am turning this year, but I think there is something special in celebrating the day you came into this world. Plus...there is some party planning going on!

Time for some reader participation - Comment and tell me what your favorite part about summer is!

1 comment:

  1. Well first let me say I Love This Post!! It is so cute.

    Anyhow....lol I agree it is too hot already and its only June..ahhhh! I do like that the sun goes down later; however, skittles still thinks 830 is bedtime even if its not dark yet. LOL!

    Where do you go for snow cones? I love snow cones. That is such a neat idea to explore (if gas wasn't so expensive). Steve and I did that one day out here in the country from Bartlett to Jarrell. It was fun!

    I do love fruit myself especially those 3.

    I have never smelled that kind, but it sounds nice. I do not run candles though in the summer, but a nice smell in the house would be nice.

    We will have to check out those yogurt shops, but I do not know if steve likes yogurt that much. I will have to ask him.

    Yes, watering the grass can get tiring. After 3 weeks I am trying to get my grass and trees back alive from being so dry ahhh!

    We love to grill. We do year round too, but not as much fun as in the summer. We should get together soon and grill out and eat fruit!! What a great idea! Let us know.

    Cute Cup! I love when summer things come out. It is always something new to have.

    My family and I use to camp every year when we were kids. I loved it and still remember a lot of memories from it. But with Steve in the army he says hes had enough camping in his life. Maybe one day when he gets out we can go camping.

    And of course your bday. 30 is not so bad. Its just another number. I do not feel any different turning 30 thats for sure. So whats the party planning stuff?

    Hope this is enough participation, LOL!

    SUMMER IS GREAT! SWIMMING, GRILLING, FRUIT, HANGING WITH FRIENDS!

    ReplyDelete