Thursday, May 28, 2015

Memorial Day Celebrations

So I’m a little late with this post… but here you go anyway!

I recently read one of the best descriptions of each patriotic holiday that we celebrate. I wish I would have saved it...growing up I thought every patriotic holiday was to honor those who serve our country through the military. That’s it. Which, although is true, I have learned that each holiday represents something in particular. Am I the only one who thought every patriotic holiday celebrated the same thing?! Hope not! So, Memorial Day - a day to honor and remember those who have died for our American freedoms. Considering all that is going on across the world these days, this freedom is not to be taken for granted! I am thankful for our military and grateful to those who gave their life for our freedom. I pray for those families who sacrifice and have lost loved ones.

We decided to spend this day with friends, watching a parade and grilling out. Most of that happened...

Monday morning we drove to Sackets Harbor for the parade. We arrived early (to get a good spot) and so we walked around a bit. I'm so glad I asked a random person to take some pics of us, because I just love our latest family picture!


I tried to get some cute pics of Jaxen, but he was having too much fun to stop for a picture!


 I did capture Jaxen and Nik showing me their muscles though!


We made it back to our spot eventually and while waiting for the parade to start, we see a police car coming down the street. This is about 20 minutes before start time. So we assumed that they were just making sure the road was clear. Then we saw, just behind the car, a few people walking. Then flags being carried...and then a band! We did not know what was going on. I was thinking this was the pre-show to the parade. After the band came a Girl Scout troop and then an ambulance and fire truck... and that was it. We sat there waiting for more but noticed people getting up to leave! I finally stopped a lady and asked if that was it, or if there was more.... That was it. Apparently this parade used to be big. Not so much anymore. Seriously. That was it! We couldn't believe it! I still can’t. One other family (that had planned on meeting up and watching it together) made it in time, so we had to text the rest of our friends and tell them they missed it. 

I did get this picture of Jaxen with his favorite buddies - Carson, Thomas and Ben. 


After the “parade” (if you can call it that) we headed out to our friends. It was a bit rainy that morning so she let all the kids swim! Jaxen had the best time! We loaded him down with floaties and let him go by himself. Neither Nik nor I wanted to get in with him! Ha ha. But he did great on his own! (There was an adult in the water - and I was fully prepared to jump in - just in case).


I wish I had pictures from the rest of our day...because it was great. But I don’t!

So imagine all the men gathered outside grilling, all the ladies sitting around in the kitchen, all the kids running wild - then eating a wonderful meal - then everyone hanging out on their gorgeous lawn (overlooking the lake) flying kits, playing soccer and just having a great time. It was pretty much as good and relaxing as you can imagine!

We made it home late afternoon. I went to work while Jaxen napped and then we had a restful evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment