Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Not. Fun.

So this past weekend we registered for Baby stuff. I have a couple of baby showers coming up, and knew I needed to get this done. And this was our only free weekend to do it, for a long time.

I was excited. It was rainy and cold (which I love).

I had a list (of course) compiled of what to register for from at least 3 different sources. And we were going to register at 3 different stores.

And so it began. We started out Friday afternoon. Target-bound. We literally just started in the first baby aisle - checking my list to see what we needed from that aisle, and then picking it out. Sounds like fun, right?

WRONG.

So very much not fun!

Seriously. The many hundred different kinds of the hundred different things you need.... I could go into detail. But I won't. Too traumatic.

We left Target a couple hours later. Saddened and out of energy. I called my mom and told her how not fun it was. She made me feel better.

Next stop. Walmart. All I'm going to say is....everything we registered for there, was done on-line. Me and the lady-worker exchanged a few words (all nice) but I left in a huff, and told Nik I do not have the patience to deal with registering there, in person - EVER. So far, I have stuck to my work.

That night we went and played volleyball. It was good for my soul. I laughed, a whole lot. And just had the greatest time! I forgot about the not-fun I had before.

Saturday came. We left Temple to go to the Austin-area. We were bound and determined to finish up this baby registering thing...if it killed us. I think going into it with the right expectations (that it was going to be terrible) helped us through it! That, and some good ol' Jersey Mikes Subs - Nik's favorite!



I did have to laugh at Nik (in a good way) while he literally 'wrangled' the many car seat/stroller travel systems. He was such a good sport and was really trying to find the best one for us!



But back to registering....we are not done, but really really close. Thanks go the internet I can go online and tweek our registeries. They should be completed soon. I just need to add a few more things.... It's really a lot of stuff. I keep thinking "do babies really need all this stuff? What happens when, in a few months they outgrow everything we have for them...I guess we just start over with more stuff...Can we register every year?!"

One highlight to going to baby stores in a city - Expectant Mother Parking (especially when it is raining)! That is seriously so cool.



We also ended our day trip with a stop at Ikea. Because, really, who could resist?! We ended up purchasing exactly what we needed (not baby stuff) for half of what we expected to spend! What a good note to end on.

And a funny story...so while we were in the store, registering - we decided to walk through the clothing section (we needed something cute to look at - our brains were fried). And we spotted this little gem of clothing:



Isn't it so cute?! Well, in our state of mind at the moment...we registered for it. When we got in the car, and a long while after we left the store...I asked Nik how much that little outfit was. He answered around $6.00. I just stared at him, and asked why in the world did we not just buy it?! He just looked back at me...no idea why we did not purchase it. Ha! That just tells you how much in a 'registering zone' we were in! (Come to find out...after looking at our registry...it was actually $24.99). Yikes! But still so cute!

And that was is summary of our registering weekend!

Here is my new theory - a new mom should not have to do this alone, with her husband (also a new dad). They should have someone else take over the duties of registering for them.

The End.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry that it was a "not fun" experience. I remember doing it for Brenn and was also really overwhelmed! Maybe I could be a BABY PLANNER! Much like a wedding planner - how fun! NO WAY!!!!!!!! You said you have several baby showers coming up...who is giving them? That IS FUN! Love you!

    ReplyDelete