Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Pregnancy Story Part 3

Telling our families.

We debated on how/when to tell our parents the news of Baby D. When we realized that we would be seeing them over the weekend of November 3-7 (Wedding Weekend) we knew we had to tell them, then. Nik had recently seen a 'Grandparents' picture frame that he loved - and he came up with the idea to include pictures of his parents 2 grandkids then add the picture of us with our pregnancy test! So we did - and this is how it turned out:



Since Kay's birthday was really soon, we put the frame in a gift bag and included a 'Happy Birthday Grandma' card with it.

The night of the Wedding, Nik and I were running some errands before heading back to the house. Now that the wedding was over, we were excitedly talking about sharing our news. We were planning to tell Nik's parents at lunch after church on Sunday. But as we were talking logistics of getting the gift bag out of our car, into his parents car, and then in the restraunant...it seemed a little hard. We threw around the idea of just sharing it with them that evening. We decided to see how the night went.

We were all tired from the wedding, but were sitting in the living room talking - not quite ready for bed yet. Nik looked at me and asked "Should We?" I said "Yes!" So Nik got the gift and told his mom we brought her birthday gift down with us so we did not have to mail it, and told her she could go ahead and open it up.

She first read the card, and looked at me. Kept reading and kept looking at me. I think she asked something like "Is this true / Really / Are you trying to tell me something?" I told her to keep looking in her bag. She passed her card to Russell and he said, "Well, you are already a Grandma". Then she pulled out the frame and squealed with delight at the message and picture. She shared it with Russell and then they both hugged Nik and I. We shared with them a little more of the story and just talked excidedly for awhile.

Later that night Ryan and Anna came over. When they came in the house, Nik asked if he wanted to see mom's birthday present. He did. Nik gave the frame to him, and his mouth dropped open, then said "Really?" I'm not sure that he waited for an answer before grabbing Nik, then me and hugging us. He and Anna were both really excited for us.

*****

Since we got Nik's parents a frame to share the news, I decided to do that as well for my family. I got a simpler frame and inserted our picture:



Since we already had plans to meet my mom, Scotty, Jennifer and Christian in Dallas for lunch, we decided to tell them then. When we got to the restaurant I carried in a gift bag and sat it on the seat next to me. As soon as we said hello and hugged everyone - I just grabbed the bag and gave it to my mom. I think I was too excited/nervous to wait any longer. I remember thinking...I bet Nik has to go potty from the long drive - oh well, he will just have to wait now!

As I handed my mom the bag, I told her that I had something to give her. She opened the bag and I have no idea what she said (sorry mom)! I just remember saying "we're having a baby!" And then everyone was up and hugging all over again. Over lunch we shared with them a little more.

That night when we got home, I called my sister on the phone and told her the good news. She was very excited for me! And very excited to be an aunt!

We asked both of our families to keep it a secret for awile (at least until I saw the doctor). I know this was hard for them to do! Sorry, family - but thanks!

Telling our families brought such great moments for us. I know they are all just as excited about Baby D as we are!

1 comment: