Monday, November 28, 2011

The Pregnancy Story

I hope this post is not too much information... I just want to share with you the story of our pregnancy. It's a little long...but I wanted to make sure that I did not forget anything about this special time. So here is our story, from the beginning....

When Nik and I got married back in 2002, everyone began to ask us when we were going to have kids. Our reply was always, "in five years". Five years later, our reply was still "in five years!" For most of our marriage we knew we wanted to have kids...some day. But we never really felt a peace about trying to start. Then, in the last two years or so, something started stirring in us that we wanted to try to start a family soon. First (and more) in me than Nik, but he was on board for sometime in the near future (this was about two years ago)!

During that time I really started praying about this decision. Because we want to always seek God's direction in our life, I started praying for His timing and His will to be done. Nik and I didn't discuss trying to start a family a whole lot, we just mentioned it every now and then, and it was always decided...not yet.

Then, back in July we stopped trying to prevent a pregnancy. We never really had a big discussion about it, it just happened. Finally, after about a month I asked Nik "So, are we now trying to have a baby?" I think the thought scared him a bit because his reply was "Well, we're not, not trying." And that was basically our discussion! However, if you are not, not trying...then technically, your trying!

Side note - during the time of us trying to start a family, I was not stressed over whether we were going to get pregnant or not. I wanted to fully trust God's timing in this area. And at this time in my life (not saying I would always feel that way) it was okay if we did not get pregnant for awhile. Besides...I really had no desire to get pregnant until late spring/early summer....after the summer we just had, I think you can understand why! But back to my story...

Fast forward to October... I was supposed to start my monthly cycle the weekend of October 15 (same weekend as my bike crash). But I never started (being late is not typical of me). But I wasn't too concerned because at the time I was dealing with a broken hand. I remember telling Nik right before I left town the following week (to go to Anna's Wedding Showers), that he could pick up a pregnancy test if he wanted while he was out running errands that weekend. He never did! When I got back home, I asked about it, and he suggested we give me a few more days. I laughed about it and told him he was in denial, and that we could only put it off so long. We both kinda thought that I had not started yet due to the trauma/stress of my fall.

However, Tuesday, October 25 I wanted to know. One way or another. I called Nik, and he told me he was going to be running errands soon. So I asked if he could pick up a test (inserting..."don't let anyone we know see you...!"). He thought we were waiting a few more days.... but I told him I couldn't wait any longer, but that he could keep waiting if he wanted...I would take the test and just not tell him the answer! Ha!

So when I got off of work that evening I took a test. I set a timer and we did not look at the test until the timer went off. What we saw when we looked...was a really dark pink line and a very light pink line. I knew that two lines = positive and one line = negative. But what in the world did a dark line and a light line mean?! Seriously, this is supposed to be one of the top moments in our lives...and I was confused!



So, we pulled out all the instructions to read what they said. It did state that a dark and light line were still a positive result. But our line was really light - in fact I had to keep looking to see if there really was a line or not! I ended up taking another test that night...same result. So I woke up the next morning and took it again...same result. By this time Nik and I did think I was pregnant....even with a very light line. We decided a second light line, is still a line! So I called the doctors office and they told me to come in for a test to make sure.


I went in about noon on Wednesday and by 3 pm I had not heard back. So I called. The lady said, "The test result is positive." I held my breath for a minute and then said, "That's a good thing!" She laughed. I had to ask what I do now...because I'm new to all this. After we talked a few more minutes I hung up the phone, then called Nik and told him YES! Then I started crying! (This was probably not the wisest decision for me to find out while I was at work). I remember Nik saying "Good" a couple of times. I told him I was really excited, and he said he was too!

I honestly did not know how Nik was going to react...I knew he would not be upset, but I did not know how excited he would actually be! Turns out - he is pretty stinking excited! We are both extremely happy!

Over the next few days we talked about all kinds of important things....like where to put Nik's weight set and my sewing machine now that the weight/sewing room was turning into a nursery! By the way, Nik's first suggestion was to leave it in the nursery...ummm...No! We also talked about when/how to share the news with our families. There was a lot we did not discuss - just because we had not yet talked to the doctor, and we didn't quite know our due date.

Nik started calling me 'Preggo' every chance he got, so I started refering to him as my "Baby-Daddy!"

Over the next few days we started trying to get used to the idea that we were going to be parents. Crazy. It was kinda surreal.

More of the Pregnancy Story to come - including how we told our families and the first pregnancy shot of my (non-existent) baby-belly!

1 comment:

  1. Such a wave of emotions when you find out. So excited for you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete