Monday, July 18, 2011

Child Sponsorship

I'm setting up the story....

Nik returned home from his youth trip and I returned home from my time in NM. We were both exhausted. It was about 7:30pm and neither of us had dinner. So, we go to Chick-Fil-A. We are eating dinner, sharing stories and catching up. Late into our dinner and conversation, Nik looks at me and says "Oh ya, we are sponsoring a child now."...and continues to eat his dinner! It was like he said "By the way, I bought some milk at the store." Very non-chalant!

It took me a minute to realize what he had said...that we have signed up to sponsor a child from Nazarene Compassionate Ministires (NCM). I was not mad at all about his decision to do this. (I just thought it was funny how he told me!). We have discussed this a few times and the last conversation we had about it was - Let's wait until after summer. So, I'm actually excited that he had the opportunity to sign us up for this.

To give you a little background, in case you are not familiar with what this is...The NCM works alongside Nazarene churches around the world, parterning with individuals to help clothe, shelter, feed, heal and educate children who suffer under oppression, injustice, violence, poverty, hunger and disease. Child sponsorship provides children the opportunity for education, social and physical development, and spiritual growth.

I'm pretty excited about this new opportunity. I am still reading/learning all about it, but the child we sponsor is an 11 year old boy from Jordan!

1 comment:

  1. Thats cool! Good for you guys. I love how he said it too. Cute! LOL

    ReplyDelete