Monday, November 23, 2015

Jaxen’s New Room

So the big news around here is that Jaxen has moved into a new room with a “big boy bed”! Yes, our child is 3. And yes, he has been in his crib his entire life. I know that is super late in life for most people, but for us - it worked out well! He never climbed out and he was content and happy in his crib :)

But with the arrival of Baby D, I knew we needed to transition him out of his crib (and I decided a new room would work better for him) - and I knew we needed to do it sooner rather than later so he didn’t feel “kicked out” of his space. So this past week was the week!

I don’t have the “bedding” I want yet (it’s plaid) and I don’t have decorations up on the wall -
but here is his new room!

Thursday night was the first night of the big move. And honestly, it went super smooth! I expected a lot worse. Not sure why - I guess I was preparing myself, just in case.

For a few days beforehand, I would take him to go play in his new room and talk about going night-night in there. Then Thursday afternoon (after I moved all his stuff in the room), I took him in one last time and showed him his cd player, bedtime book and bed. He seemed really excited about it and we talked about it the rest of the evening.


When it came time for night-night, Nik and I took him upstairs, read him a story while he laid in bed, said prayers, turned on his music and told him night-night. He did get up at one point and started playing with his toys, but we put an end to that and he didn’t get up again. It took him awhile to fall asleep - but like I stated before - it went super smooth!

The rest of the nights have gone well. Not as smooth as the first night - but not terrible. Actually, on Saturday night he was asleep within 15 minutes! There are still a few times when I sit in the hall outside of his room for a few minutes - just to make sure he stays in his bed. And he has waken up in the middle of the night every night with some issue - but each time, falls right back asleep. It’s new and I knew it would take a little time to get used to it. But overall - it’s been great! I’m so glad we did it, and am so glad we did it in the time frame we did.


Another aspect of him moving to a new room and new bed is him napping there each day. Up until this point, I usually lay down with him in our bed until he falls asleep for his nap. I don’t even know how we got into that habit - but we did and it has worked pretty well for us. But I knew it was time for him to start napping on his own. So Friday (the day after his first night in his bed) we started that transition. 

Again, overall, it has gone well. Today he cried and would not settle down for about 30 minutes - but that has probably been the worst of it. I just sit in the hallway and make sure he does not get out of bed and start playing. The thing that works for us right now, is that I turn off his music if he does not obey. Once he realizes he does not get to listen to his music, he normally settles down and then I turn it back on. 

So that’s what’s new with us!

**********

We have a fun-filled Thanksgiving week ahead! We had a great, relaxing weekend and I’m excited about the next few days. Hope your week is great as well!




2 comments:

  1. Awesome job!!! It will super helpful to have him napping in his bed once baby comes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my plan! So glad it has worked out so well.

      Delete