Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Upward Re-Cap

Our last weekend of Upward went great! That week we (especially Nik) were super busy pulling all the last minute details together for the Award Night and last game day. It was a busy week. But I do have to give Nik and I props...we got many things accomplished in the weeks prior that allowed for that last week to not be as hectic as it has been in the past!

I won't go into all the details of that night (because you probably don't care- Ha!) but I will show you a few pics:

A gym-transformation:

We had over 350 people in attendance for the Award Night!

Nik brought in a super entertainer - a Juggler!
He performed many great tricks, used people from the crowd
and shared a wonderful Gospel message!

His big ending-act was juggling torches,
while standing on a free-standing ladder. Impressive!
And the kids loved him!

We introduced all the kids and coaches and said "Thanks" to
many people for the wonderful season we had. We gave gifts and
showed a slideshow of some of the best moments of the season.

But something super special that we do every year, is give away a
White Star Award. This award is given every year to an adult in the league
(usually a coach) that represents Christ-likeness.

This year Nik was having trouble deciding who the award was going to -
so much so, that right before the Ceremony started I asked him who it was,
and he told me he still didn't know yet!

I had been asking him for a few days, full of confidence that he would
figure it out. But I was freaking out, because that day he told me he still had no clue!
And I'm a control freak. Enough said.

I had no idea how this was going to go that night....

What I did not know...

Was that Nik was approached earlier in the season and asked if
the White Star Award could go to....

ME!!!

He thought it was a great idea and the plans went forward.
He just had to keep me from finding out (not easy, when I'm so nosy)!

So the time came to present the award and Nik handed the mic off to the
individual. I was so confused as to why Nik was not giving this award.
So there I stood, camera in hand to take a picture of the person receiving this award.

And then I heard my name.
I have no idea what he said prior to my name...I was not listening,
but still trying to figure out why Nik was not giving it and
who the person was.

But I understand that a lot of nice things were said about me.
And I was touched. Even as I write this, it brings tears to my eyes.
I love this program and everything it stands for.

So, I was the receipant of the White Star Award!
And given a game ball, signed by every player. Very, very cool!
No picture. Because I was holding the camera :)

But I did get a picture of my cutie-husband.
And I am very proud of him and all the work and hours he puts into
this program each year. It was a success!



**********

Another major event of the weekend:

Jaxen had his first sleepover.

I know....major!

Basically, it boiled down to this:

In order to get everything done that had to happen prior to and during
the Award Night and last game day Jaxen would have to be at a babysitters on
Friday 5-11 PM and Saturday 7:30 AM-7 PM.
Ridiculous. I know. However, that is life.

So it only made sense, really that he just stay the night! And so he did.
He was well taken care of and I did not worry about him one bit.
He had a blast the whole time, and was so good for our neighbors/babysitters.

I did miss him, though. And I'm glad this season of basketball is over so I
can have my weekends with him back!

Okay...long post. I know. I'm done now!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Carla - I am so glad that others see how hard you work and just how very special you are! I love you and I love that others love you! I couldn't be a prouder big sister.

    ReplyDelete