Sunday, March 3, 2013

New Bed

Okay, so we got a new bed. Here is the story....

For many years now, Nik has said he wanted a new mattress. He was tired of our old one. It was old, and he didn't sleep good on it and woke up with his body hurting because of it, most mornings. So we finally decided to break down and buy a new mattress. This was a few months ago. We began searching and talking and looking at them.

We quickly decided we wanted to move up to a King size mattress. For many reasons, actually. And we decided we wanted a memory foam versus a spring mattress. And so the hunt began.

Before we even purchased a mattress, I had told Nik that I wanted an actual bed frame complete with a headboard, footboard....the whole shabang. If you have ever seen our bedroom, you know it is very plain. Like, empty-plain. We had a mattress and box spring but it sat on the floor. That's just how it was. I could always find something else to spend our money on, other than a bed frame. It was not an essential for us, at that time in our lives. And that's how we roll. However, I now wanted (needed) one.

So as we were picking out our new mattress and bed we mentioned all this to our neighbors/friends. And Q casually asked if we wanted him to build us a bed. I was not sure at first if he was serious. He loves to build things, and we have seen a few things that he has built (and we have loved everything he has done). So we said, YES! Of course we would love a bed built by him. (Nik and I had previously stated that we wanted Q to eventually build us something....we were just not sure what yet. So this was the perfect thing!)

We had a few discussions about it and once we purchased our mattress (which we absolutely love, by the way) he went to work. We discussed all the decisions that had to be made along the way...And we are so pleased with the final result! It was fun watching him build it - and Nik and I were able to help some with it too!

After working with Q on the new bed, I told him if he ever wants to retire and build furniture, I would become his assistant!

And without further ado.....

Our awesome new mattress:



And our awesome new bed:




And because he is just so cute....


I know that was the longest post ever about a bed.

Now on to painting and decorating our room....I promise that end-result-post won't be as long! Ha!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I love it! That headboard is so so very you guys. I really do love it!

    ReplyDelete