Monday, September 2, 2019

Africa - Part IV

Sunday:

Saturday night was the only night we were without electricity the entire night. It was warm - but I don't think not having lights and air conditioning stopped anyone from getting some good rest! I know it didn't me :)

We were all up and ready to go when our host picked us us (thanks to flashlights!). We had breakfast at the Guest House and then joined a local church in Worship! While we waited for church to start, we explored a bit...

the entrance to the church building

the side of the church building

inside the church building
 

the church building is in the middle of neighborhoods - it is a rented spaced



One of our team members offered to teach Sunday School (the night prior) so that our host could get sleep (it was his turn to teach, and he had not had a chance to prepare yet). It was so nice of him to offer! I'm sure it was not easy teaching Sunday School to an unknown group of people with a translator...but he did great! I am so glad he was able to jump in and help out in that manner. 


After Sunday School, and before church started, I saw these cute kiddos behind me. I asked to take their picture and then one of the boys handed me the little girl and I held her through almost the entire service! She was precious. And I put her to sleep (it probably helped that her mom was one of the ones leading in worship so she could see and hear her, as I rocked her).


It was pretty wonderful to experience church in a different part of the world, with people who speak another language - but the exciting thing, is that we love the same God! And...they sang two worship songs that I knew (in their language, but I recognized them and sang in English). The worship was very loud and lively - much different from what I'm used to (with a little dancing thrown in, as well.)


The pastor's sermon was in French and there was a translator who was speaking in their village language, and then our translator was sitting next to us, speaking in English. It was sometimes hard to keep up! But again, I recognized the story and scripture he was preaching on :)

our translator, our host, church translator, pastor

one of our team members led the church in prayer during part of the service

Church was wonderful. I enjoyed meeting and talking with some of the people after church too. They were so excited we were there and gave us the biggest welcoming and thanks for the part we play in the JESUS Film Harvest Partners Ministry.



No comments:

Post a Comment