Friday, February 22, 2013

Out of control

So, it has happened. In Niks words, "I'm out of control, but in a good way!"

I have made a color-coded weekly meal plan for all 3 of us! Complete with snacks and everything.

It may seem like a bit much. But -
  • we budget our food money each week.
  • I have babysitters taking care of Jaxen.
  • I make all of Jaxens food.
  • We try to eat semi-healthy (meaning I don't eat chocolate and sodas for every meal, like I want to).
  • And I hate going to the grocery store and pretty much refuse to go more than once a week.

Because of those reasons and more...I felt the need to create a detailed (color-coded) meal plan. And it gives me a sense of control...ha! We all know that I sometimes feel the need to be in control!

This does not mean that there is no flexibility, and that we have to follow it exactly...but it does help me to be prepared. Especially for Jaxen. I'm learning.

Out of control, I know.

**********

I wrote the above post a couple of days ago. Here is the update: Nik and I are following the plan pretty well. It has worked good for us. I am having to adjust Jaxen's menu some. It's just a constant learning curve of what he will/won't eat; combined with new foods. I am finding out - he loves fruit. Would eat it every meal if I let him. Which I won't.

He is a pretty determined little man - Wednesday night he was eating chicken and sweet potatoes (one of his favorites) but after a few bites, would not open his mouth. Lips shut tight. This has happened for the last few days. Some of the days, I gave in, gave him fruit and oatmeal instead. Ate like a champ. Or just given him a bottle. Again, champ....but last night - something inside me was determined to win this battle. I was tired of him not eating food I knew he liked. So after 4 bites when his lips went shut again, I changed things up and moved him from the dining room to the kitchen (change of scenery). No good. So then I moved him to the Living Room and turned on the TV. (Which I don't like to do - but is reason #743 of 'sometimes, you do what you have to do'). No good. Then I got creative.

Let me preface this with: 1 - Jaxen was not hurt in this eating process. 2 - Jaxen likes sweet potatoes and chicken. I can tell when he does not like a food, and this was not that. 3 - I was not forcing him to eat this food, no matter how it sounds....on to my little trick:

I worked my finger through his tight-closed lips into his mouth. Once it was in, it created enough space for the spoon to go in - And he ate. Swallowed his food. No crying, no whining. Just watched TV and ate. I tried it again. Same result. So every bite of food he took last night, started with my finger in his mouth.

Don't judge.

He ate a really good meal. No crying, screaming, turning his head away, gagging, flapping his arms. Calm meal. And that is how I won the battle!

1 for Mom
982 for Jaxen
But whose counting...?!



2 comments:

  1. Ha ha! CARLA! You ARE out of control! Just kidding - but YAY for you! You will soon learn (especially works well with medicine) that if you pinch the nose shut they have to open thier mouth to breathe. So, this technique helps not only with getting the stuff in but then again to swallow. (I would like to point out at this time that I will never incriminate myself-ha ha). I LOVE when you share these learning experiences with us! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete