Tuesday, January 22, 2013

New Insight


I read something today that has really opened my eyes when it comes to parenting Jaxen. Before I get into it....let me preface with this:

When I found out I was pregnant I bought a book. And read it cover to cover - a couple of times. I wanted to know everything about pregnancy and what was happening and how I should feel, and react, and the birth and blah blah blah. Bottom line, what I learned was that no two pregnant people are the same. And I went with it. And I enjoyed being pregnant.

And since Jaxen came along...I have purchased a few more books. Just last week, I told Nik I had to have this certain book to help me with Jaxen's not-sleeping-at-night-phase. I bought it. I have even read part of it. Yes, I have gained some insight on someone else's perspective.

I have sought out numerous books, articles and people's advice on anything and everything parent-related. From first baths, to the best pajamas (zipper or button) to breast feeding, making babyfood, sleeping patterns, toys to play with....you understand.

My point: I have stated many times that "I have no clue." It's true.


But...And this is where my eyes are being opened....

Although I do think it is good to seek advice and research - also (and this is what I read today):

Trust your instincts.

Know that God created you to be the mama to the 
child or children He's blessed you with.

Why wouldn't He equip you for the sacred role He designed you to fulfill?


Good stuff, huh?

Just recently Nik and I have made a decision about Jaxen's not-sleeping-at-night-phase. It's a controversial decision. One that I have had many opinions and advice thrown at me about (from both sides). Our decision...? Right now, Jaxen is sleeping with us. He is a much happier, well-rested baby. I am a much happier, well-rested momma. And that has greatly affected me being able to be a better mom and wife. I have no answers as to how long this will last, or the lasting effects of this decision on Jaxen (like whether or not he will be too attached, or have dyslexia, or still sleep in my bed when he is 30, or be a better adjusted kid because I met his needs instead of ignoring them....and so forth). For now, this works for us as a family.


All that to say - my advice to new moms... Seek God; pray; trust your instincts! You will be the best parent for your child. You may not have a clue, or be an expert at parenting - but you are an expert when it comes to your child!

2 comments:

  1. And it is for these reasons that YOU are a GREAT MOM! I have said it from day 1! I can not tell you how very proud I am of both YOU and NIK! You guys are doing great! The only thing you could do better (in my opinion) is fly weekly to Roswell so I can get my NEPHEW TIME! HA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way - I LOVE THIS MIDDLE PICTURE!

    ReplyDelete