Thursday, March 31, 2011

Plants and Babies

Yes, I have plants...No I don't have any babies!

About a year ago my co-workers asked me when Nik and I were going to have children. My answer to them was something along the lines of... "Before we even consider having babies to take care of - there are stages in life we have not yet completed. First stage: Take care of each other for a couple of years." Check. "Second stage: Get a pet and keep it alive for a couple of years."

I can now say that we have owned a dog for more than a couple of years and she is still alive. This is only after killing about 3 fish. Actually, they committed suicide while I was at work. No joke. But back to my pet that is still alive. Molly.

Check.

Here's proof of her existence while under our watch and care:

"Third stage. Keep a plant alive for one whole year." I continued to tell my co-workers that I inherited my yellowish - brown (non existent) green thumb from my mother. Thanks mom. And that I just can't think of having babies until I complete this third stage. I have failed multiple times in my 8 years of marriage keeping plants alive. I keep trying...they keep dying.

This conversation was had with lots of eye-rolling, laughter and sarcasm...although, I was actually pretty serious about my answer! Ha! So that was the end of conversation. For me, anyways.

Fast forward a couple of months, to June, on my birthday (2010). I was called into the work room, because someone needed my help with something. When I walked in, my co-workers were there with a cake, singing "Happy Birthday" to me. Fun!

That's when I saw it. It cracked me up:

A plant, with "It's a Boy!" and "It's a Girl!" signs!


I laughed so hard! I could not believe they got me this plant to start taking care of!

My boss, however, is not real keen on the idea of me having a baby (not seriously, he just gives me a hard time about it) because we work well together and he doesn't want to have to look for a new assistant! So - his contriubution to my birthday party was this:

Plant killer with a new label on it saying, 'Gary's Special Plant Food. Feed Often! Give it a whole lot!'
That way, I can 'feed' my plant (kill it) and not have babies for many, many years to come (if I were seriously following my stages)! Ha!

Now, almost a year later, my co-workers still come in my office and check the status of my plant...many reminding me that in June, I will have kept a plant alive for one year! My boss, comes in checking my plant and walks out wtih a sad face! Ha!

Since then, I have actually taken a liking to plants. I now have 3 plants at home and 4 plants at work that I am keeping alive. All different ones, too. I'm not saying I have a green thumb, yet...but I'm working on it!

Maybe one day - when I get tired of taking care of my plants...I will have a baby!

1 comment: