Thursday, August 23, 2018

My 1/2 Marathon Journey - (injured) Leg

I had a few other 1/2 marathon posts written over the summer to keep you updated on my progress and give you more details/information for the run...but I never got them posted!

And now, I am injured and will not be able to run the 1/2 marathon as planned :(



Awhile back (mid-July), my left quad was hurting (felt like tight, sore muscles). I rested some, stretched a lot and kept going. Finally, on July 30 I could not take the pain any longer and I stopped running (and even walking). I let it go awhile and it was not getting any better. (I even tried ice baths! That is desperate, for me anyway - lol!) So - I sought medical help. First, I tried my primary doctor and they could not get me in; then I tried a physical therapist/sports medicine doctor and they could not get me in; so then I tried a chiropractor - who got me in the next day! I was desperate. I was in so much pain. I could hardly walk. And when I did walk, it just hurt. I was waking all through the night with cramping, muscle spasms and aching all through my left quad.

My first appointment I cried as my leg was examined and then worked on (massaged, adjusting of my pelvis and knee and cold laser therapy). I was told I had Grade 2 strains in my muscle and the tendons that connect that muscle to my knee and my hip. Ice, rest, and stretching was needed.

By the time I went to my second appointment, I knew I would probably not be running the 1/2 marathon. He told me it would be a 4-6 week recovery and then I would have to take it easy getting back into running.

My new running shoes (purchased at the beginning of summer)!

The third (and continuing) visit I met with a different chiropractor and she is focusing her energy on my sciatica. She basically told me my lower back, hips and legs were a mess. My muscles are so tight and there are so many knots throughout those areas, it is not loosing up and is contracting every time I use those muscles. Since my left side is having such a hard time, my right side is working hard to help it out, in the mean-time wearing itself out. If that makes sense. So she adjusts me (hips, pelvis, back and knee) and works on my knots each time I go. I have cried more than once in her office, just because it hurts so bad - but I am finally seeing improvement!

Just this week, I can get up (from sitting) and not have to pause before I can start walking. I can walk without leg spasms. I can stretch my leg without pain shooting through. There are some minor things I can do now freely, that I have not been able to do (without pain) for the last few weeks!

This was right before one of my group runs - everyone stretching and getting ready!
Picture taken by someone else.


My last group run.

I am still a work in progress. I'm still very tight. I can still not get a good stride when I walk (have to go slow and take small steps) because my muscles are contracting still. I need to start walking (as far as I can) to start getting movement back. Most nights I spend time stretching, rolling on a foam roller (which is so painful on all my knots) and soaking in Epsom salt. I will get better. And I might try running again. Just not for the 1/2 marathon I hoped to be a part of.


I'm not sad I worked so hard - it was good for me. 
I actually miss that time (especially the sunrises). 
I am sad I won't be able to accomplish this goal (in October, anyway).

Maybe I’ll try something else when I’m all better…
any suggestions?


No comments:

Post a Comment