Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Quarantine - Take 2 (Working from Home)

Want to know how we are doing?
Take a look at this pic and guess….

Just kidding!
It’s not going that bad.
Yes, this is the state of my basement - but I have let that go.
The rest of my house is decent (at this point).

So - what does being quarantined and working-from-home look like for us?

Well, thankfully, this model is not new to us.
When we lived in Wolcott NY Nik worked from home.

This is a bit different, but we are taking some things we learned from then and applying them now.

I am still working full-time.
My hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm.
We have created me an office space in the bedroom in our basement.
It’s a little cold in there, but I have a blanket and a space heater.
I am in there when I am working and then I close and lock the door when I’m not.

The boys and I also have a system -
If my office door is open, they can come in and chat with me or play in the room.
If it is closed then they have to show respect and not bother me.

So here is a peak at my office:
See the easter eggs above the white board?

I brought my work chair home and lots of supplies that I need.
Work has been a bit chaotic, but is finally starting to settle down and I think
everyone is finding their new groove.

Want to know a cool God-story?
The day I was told I had to work from home I drove up to the house and
saw the desk in my neighbors lawn for trash pickup.
They were outside and I asked about it.
It’s a perfectly good desk, just a little old and used and they did not need it anymore.
I had Nik haul that desk right into our basement and it has been perfect!
Thank you Lord for your provision!

Someone asked all our staff the other day what we are all doing with our extra “commute” time.
I am doing laundry!
We have so much laundry - so it helps to use the bit of drive time to start,
switch or fold a load of clothes.

Now - how is this impacting Nik?
Well, when we heard the boys school was cancelled for the year we were a bit concerned.
That basically meant that Nik would not be getting much sleep.
Now that I am working from home, it has actually helped.

The main thing I do to help is let the boys hang out with me first thing in the morning.
When they wake up I let them take their breakfast downstairs and they
normally have TV time while I work.
Sometimes they hang out in my office playing, or I will get an activity together.
Basically I will let them hang out downstairs with me until I need Nik to wake up.
And that can be different times different days.
If I have a conference call or video chat - I will wake him up so I’m not interrupted.
If I need to really concentrate on something and just can’t, I wake him up.
For the most part he will get a couple hours extra sleep, which is really helping!

My lunch hour is a little longer with no commute so it’s nice that we get time then.
I used to spend my lunch hour getting Zane from school, so Nik and I did not get much time.
Now, we have lunch as a family!

And everyday I leave the house to check the mail at the office.
This can either be the boys and I or a family affair.
Everyone just stays in the van while I get the mail, but it’s nice to have them out of the house.

Also - it’s nice that is is flexible enough to step away if I need to.
I usually pop upstairs to use the restroom and get a drink/snack,
so I can look in on them and say hi.
If someone does need me for an extended period of time, I can make up my work
time after the boys are in bed, or get started earlier in the morning.
So far that has not been an issue.

And then today, Nik texted me and asked if I could step outside for a minute.
I could and got to watch them make “volcanos”.
 
 

Nik is still taking a nap each evening after dinner until he goes to work.

Oh - and yes, I still shower everyday and put on a little makeup.
Mainly powder and mascara.
And I wear “real clothes” -
It is a bit more casual but at least I’m not wearing my “comfies” to work.
I have had at least one video conference everyday, so that helps to make sure I look decent!

That was a lot - hope it made sense!
Overall, it’s going well!

No comments:

Post a Comment