Tuesday, September 13, 2011

1st Stop

Before I get into the details of the first stop...I just want to say...I am glad to be home! There is something about coming home that feels good (or should feel good). I like structure, I do well with structure, and am excited about the week ahead. Not that we have anything really exciting going on...but just excited to live our life. My house is clean. All the laundry is done. Groceries are bought. Meals are planned. It sounds like I have it all together. I really don't! But I do better when these things fall into place, and right now...things are in place (we will see for how long)!

Now...onto the great vacation post!

The first stop on our Fall Get-away was in Kansas City. We left town on Sunday (immediately after AM Church service) and drove straight through to KC. We arrived between 10-10:30pm. Upon our arrival our friends, Rusty and Diane, were sitting on their front porch in lawn chairs waiting on us! It was a wonderful welcome!

We stayed up pretty late that first night catching up (it had been almost 2 years since we have seen each other). The next morning, Monday, Nik and I both work up early excited for our day to begin! The girls ran a quick errand at JCPenney Outlet while the boys went to the driving range to hit some golf balls. Upon our arrival at JCPenney, this is what we saw:


I had to take a picture. This was a seriously long line of people waiting to get in the store...and it wasn't even the day after Thanksgiving!

After a few errands and the driving range we ate lunch and headed to the Kansas City Zoo!


It was a beautiful, perfect day for the Zoo. And about a million other people thought so as well...it was packed! But it was a pretty good zoo, and we got to see many animals. Including a Polar Bear!




We also rode the tram which took us over certain areas of the zoo. The tram was fun, but we didn't get to see as much as I was hoping for.


After the Zoo we headed to a much-needed cooler place where we could sit down and drink water! AKA - Jack Stacks BBQ. Love, love, love their food - especially the beans!

The rest of our time in Kansas City our friends had to work. So we took advantage of our mornings and we slept in until 9am everyday and then met up with them for lunch. We had dinner together each evening and one night Nik and Rusty played golf while Diane and I went for a walk. The rest of the evenings were spent relaxing, watching some TV and playing cards (which is one of our favorite things to do). 

We ate at some really great restaurants while we were there...Rusty and Diane sure do know how to find the good food (and cupcake places)!


One of the days we were there Nik and I went to the Nelson-Atkins Museum. This is a really great, FREE museum in Kansas City. We both loved the Photography and Heavens section. Again, the weather was fantastic and we had some fun out on the lawn looking at all the sculptures.


 

We had a super fun time - Thank you Rusty and Diane for your wonderful hospitality! We enjoyed seeing you guys and miss being around you...wish we could see you more often!


2 comments:

  1. I love Kansas City beans. Those are my family's favorite. My Aunt lives there too so we always stop if we go that way. Sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yea I forgot to say WOW about JC Penny. Thats crazy. Cool zoo too!

    ReplyDelete