Monday, July 27, 2020

2020-2021 School Year

We have officially heard plans for the 2020-2021 school year:

School will begin Tuesday, September 8
The school district has given the option of in-person learning or remote learning

At this time and for various reasons Nik and I have decided both Jaxen and Zane 
will attend school, in-person for the full first semester.

There has been so much debate over schools re-opening and the choices that each family has to make.
 It's not an easy choice. 
There is no right answer. 
Each family has to make the choice for what is best for them and their situation 
and that choice will be the RIGHT one. 
I love this little graphic.




I try to be encouraging to all the other moms/families out there
making this choice - whether it is a different choice than mine or the same.
I hope you are too :)

I am not exactly sure what to expect school to "look" like,
but here are some guidelines we have been given:

Masks will be required for students and staff.
Students will be required to bring masks to school and wear them during the instructional day.
Social distancing will occur in the classroom to the maximum extent possible.
Student movement in the building will be greatly reduced. 
Students will not be allowed to gather in large groups.
To begin the year, there will be no assemblies or field trips.
Visitors (including parents and volunteers) to the buildings will be strictly limited to the front office only.
Restrictions are subject to change as the year progresses per guidance from local and state health departments. Should conditions worsen and full in-person learning not be an option, students who opt for in-person may be transitioned to a hybrid model where they may come into school a few days a week and be home doing remote learning for the other days. Additionally, if a greater school shut down were to be ordered by state or local officials, all in-person learning students would be transitioned to remote learning. 



Well, that is what we know!
We now have a countdown to get ready for school. 
This will not be an easy thing.
Kids have not stepped into a classroom since March 12.
My kids have not had much structure since then.
They have not had to "sit still and pay attention" for a great amount of time in months.

And I don't think they have worn anything with a button in the last 4 months either - lol!
Jaxen will struggle with wearing anything that is not considered a "comfy" and
Zane will struggle with wearing clothes period. 
I mean, Saturday we went to the farmers market and Zane wore a mask and
a dinosaur Halloween costume and no shoes. 
We barely noticed!

There will be new rules and guidelines and with that - some of the excitement is gone.
I am trying to think of some ways to help ramp up the excitement....
maybe find some fun-printed masks, or take Jaxen shopping for new "comfy-non-athletic-clothes"...
I'm not sure. 
I'll take any ideas you have!

That was a long post.
My thoughts are all over the place (as I'm sure most of yours are)
about this pandemic, schools and really, public (life) in general. 

Trust in the Lord....!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a challenging thing to have to decide! I of course just struggle with the daily decisions of society in general- but many times since March I have counted my blessings, been very thankful my child is not school age, worried because my child is an adult not always making the same decisions I think they should, and prayed for you and all other parents. They probably will have a hard time adjusting, as will you and Nik - but I am moved by your conviction to be encouraging no matter what others decide. I try to emphasize this to people daily! It is about what is best for you and yours because we are not all the same. I will also be praying for the boys teachers - lol - they will need it!

    ReplyDelete