Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Jaxen: Flag Football

Jaxen does not play sports year-round and actually opted out of soccer last season. I wanted to get him into something this summer, but all of the sports around here were cancelled due to COVID. When I saw the Flag Football sign-ups for this fall, I asked if that would be something he might be interested in. He was pretty excited (which surprised me). Nik and I did our best to talk him out of it (or really, make sure he was going to commit, because I just was not sure) and the day before sign-ups closed I registered him. Also - at the last minute his friend Brooks signed up too!

Jaxen and his team have been practicing twice a week until this past week, when games started. Now it is a weekly practice and one game a week. The one practice last week was really cold - I stuck it out for the whole practice (1 1/2 hours) thanks to my layers and blanket!

Jaxen has been so funny about flag football. The first day I signed him up - he and Brooks decided to practice everyday and started doing sprints, push ups and riding their bike (in intervals) that very night. That quickly wore off - haha - and they no longer practice when they are not at practice!

Jaxen asked me one day if his games were going to be televised. I told him no and he exhaled and said "Good. I don't want everyone to see if I mess up." He has also told me he doesn't need to practice because they have the fastest runner ever on his team. As if one fast runner is all it takes to win flag football games :).

I am so proud of him. He has never played before and does not know that much about football - but he is doing well. There are times he goofs off in practice and times he does not listen, but he is having fun. 


They played their first game on Saturday and they won! It was really fun! Jaxen played on both offense and defense (#4, in black pants). When on defense, he pulled the opponents flag during a 4th down. He (and everyone else) was super pumped about that!

I think this is going to be a good season for him!








No comments:

Post a Comment